Everybody knows that babies need A LOT of gear. Some of it practical, some of it cute, and some of it perhaps unnecessary but nevertheless convenient. When thinking about giving gifts to expectant parents, I like to include things that they would not typically buy for themselves. I also like to give something that they would love to have, but may not prioritize.
So I’ve compiled the top gifts for expecting parents. A guide to help you find something not so impractical as to be wasteful, but things that are delightful, helpful and maybe a bit of a splurge for this new stage Mom and Dad are about to enter.
Top Gifts for Expecting Parents
For Making Memories
- Pregnancy journal or kid quote book - For the mom (or dad) who likes to journal and keep track of all the little details. The perfect place to note special moments or hilarious quotes.
- Letters to Baby - A sweet way to let a child into Mom and Dad’s experiences of pregnancy and early childhood.
- Milestone blanket - Monthly pictures to highlight growth and change in babies fill Facebook and Instagram. These adorable blankets add a new twist to the mix.
- Books - These are the perfect introductory books. Anything soft and tactile invites Baby to participate with the book while building memories with Mom and Dad.
For Being Ready for Anything
- Video monitor - Monitors help new parents keep track of Baby in bed, but being able to see Baby is an added bonus. New parents may even be able to catch sweet or hilarious moments as Baby is falling asleep - moments you would otherwise miss without the video.
- Diaper caddy organizer - This ranks in the not totally necessary, but very convenient category. Having diapers at the ready saves a trip to the changing table in the bedroom and the handle makes carting it around from room to room a cinch.
- On Becoming Babywise book - Perhaps the best gift any parent could receive is “the gift of night time sleep” for the whole family.
For Going Out
- Baby carrier - Expecting parents on a budget may not think having a carrier is a necessity, but the convenience of a comfortable carrier makes a perfect gift.
- Jog stroller - Strollers are often considered a must-have baby item, but jog strollers often don’t make the list. The Bob Reflex is the Cadillac of strollers, making it a splurge, but well worth it for the avid outdoorsy parents.
Just for Mom and Dad
- Food delivery service - These services have made healthy cooking a snap and make a perfect gift for new parents who have little left at the end of the day to plan a meal.
- Date night in kit - A fun personal way to give a gift is to create a date night kit for new parents. Include a favorite movie, snack, cozy blanket and delicious smelling candle to make staying home extra special.
Finding the perfect gift for parents expecting a new little one can be challenging. But when you think about what could make life easier for the new parents and may even spoil them a little, it becomes a little easier.
Article Continues Below