Newborn Baby Dies from Meningitis Virus after Being Kissed

How closely should you monitor your baby after coming home from the hospital?

The death of a child is always difficult, but when a newborn baby dies from the meningitis virus after being kissed, that is truly a tragedy.

Nicole Sifrit/ FacebookNicole Sifrit/Facebook

Unfortunately, that is exactly what happened to baby Mariana. Here is what her mom, Nicole Sifrit, posted on Facebook:

Nicole gave birth to Mariana on July 1 and was a healthy baby girl from all accounts. Not even a week later, Mariana's parents celebrated their wedding, but had to leave early, according to this report from

(Mariana'a) parents left their wedding early to take her to Blank Children’s Hospital when she stopped eating and couldn’t wake up. Doctors told Nicole and her husband, Shane, that Mariana had contracted Meningitis HSV1. It’s likely someone with a cold sore touched Mariana who then touched her mouth, spreading the virus.

An article from states that babies younger than 1 month and people with weakened immune systems are more likely to develop severe illness when diagnosed with viral meningitis, according to the CDC, which advises parents to be particularly careful during the first months of a baby's life.

Understandably, it's been hard to pinpoint exactly who could have transmitted the virus (the same one found in cold sores) to Mariana.

Nicole Sifrit/Facebook

A GoFundMe page has also been set up to help the family as they process the tragic loss of their newborn daughter.

Sami Cone

Sami Cone

Best-Selling Author & Speaker

Sami Cone is the best-selling author of "Raising Uncommon Kids", is known as the "Frugal Mom" on Nashville's top-rated talk show "Talk of the Town" and educates over a million listeners every day on her nationally syndicated "Family Money Minute". She is proud to call Nashville home with her husband, Rick, and their two ‘tweenage' children.

Follow Sami Cone:

Facebook Comments