Cameron Hardwick, an Indiana father, found a solid substance in his child's Capri-Sun pouch. He identified it as mold and quickly warned other parents through a lengthy Facebook message.
The company responded graciously, apologizing and stating their goal to provide safe products. They also explained how to test the pouches for leaks, which can cause mold to form: "Any leaky or punctured pouches should be discarded" (caprisun.com).
Soon after Hardwick's post, scientists came to his house to test the packet. Though the mold found in already highly-processed drink is concerning, Kraft Foods and Capri-Sun made an admirable attempt at rectifying their fault.
Even when we are as careful as possible as parents, it's still important to remain vigilant in the choices we make for our children (even after we make them).
Click here for further details about Hardwick's discovery.
Jenna Phipps is a writer, editor, and dancer based in Nashville, Tennessee. She enjoys working with other people to improve their writing, taking long road trips, experimenting with choreography, and reading many novels.