If you are combing the Internet looking for top potty training tips, look no further.
Like much of parenting, potty training requires you to gather information and then develop a flexible plan.
A key thing to remember is that each child is different as Rebecca Eanes at CreativeChild can attest. She offers helpful hints to keep in mind as you are potty training your child.
Her top 3 tips are:
- Get a little potty seat long before you expect they’ll want to learn.
- Take your child’s personality into account. In other words, some children will learn with a gentle nudge, while others will dig in and refuse if you push potty training too hard.
- Keep your attitude about potty learning light, encouraging and supportive.
It’s amazing how difficult it can be to keep our own attitudes light sometimes, but a good reminder, isn’t it?
Whitney Barthel at Babycenter agrees that all children are different and that it’s important to recognize your child’s personality.
She offers 4 additional tips:
- Be an example
- Tackle one thing at a time (going pee, going number 2, washing hands independently, wiping—there is a lot to potting training)
- Have patience with going number 2
- Use incentives
Being an example shouldn’t be too hard right? Who hasn’t had their privacy invaded by the tiny toddler in your house who often finds it very hard to take no for an answer?
The last tip comes from the book, On Becoming Pottywise for Toddlers. The authors say “don’t start training your child until she has both the capacity to learn and the ability to achieve.” They offer a variety of methods knowing that every child is different and the methods work because of “the combination of right timing, right method, and right motivation.” Their book, a quick and easy read, will equip you with all the basics you are looking for in addition to all the pertinent, in-depth background information.
Once you have your potty training plan, relax and trust the process, then say good bye to diapers!
More Potty Training Articles
What's the Right Age to Start Potty Training? - Annie Wiesman
Top 13 Potty Training Tips - Annie Wiesman
Potty Training Tips When Traveling - Lena Vogelgesang
3 Lessons Learned from 2 Rounds of Potty Training 1 Toddler - Annie Wiesman
What is Elimination Communication? - Jen Reyneri